Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Leftovers

With a 11.5 pound turkey for two, we had plenty of leftovers. One tradition I learned from my mom is the need to make turkey stock Thanksgiving night. I simmered the turkey carcass with celery, carrots and water for a few hours. After I straining the turkey stock, I decided to make a turkey congee.
Cook one cup of brown short-grained rice for 2 hours with turkey stock, reserved shredded turkey meat, peas and zucchini.
While the turkey congee was great as is, we added some chili oil with black beans, Sichuan peppercorns and soy sauce to give it a Sichuan flavor.
***
Friday morning brunch we ate turkey part two, a little of all of the leftovers from Thanksgiving. Friday nigth we ate traditional turkey salad sandwiches with celery and mayonnaise along with some congee. The rest of the congee was a fantastic breakfast the next day. After three days of turkey, I'm about ready for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment