Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas in Fort Myers

My childhood Christmases were filled with snow, cold temperatures and thick sweaters.My parents moved to Florida at the turn of the century. It still seems a bit strange to spend Christmas in shorts and t-shirts, surrounded by palm trees, however, my husband did enjoy playing golf the day before and the day after Christmas. An added bonus, we had delicious food, and got to meet the newest four-legged friend.
 Baked country-style spare ribs.
Food from my childhood, my husband loved this.
***
While my husband and dad went golfing, my mom and I ran errands and had a leisurely lunch at Bistro 41. Fort Myers has a plethora of chain restaurants, but some of their local restaurants are true gems. In the off-season (May-October), many of the restaurants have to offer special deals to lure the locals out. During the winter season when the snowbirds arrive, all the restaurants have hours-long waits. 
 Soup and Half Sandwich Combo ($11)
Half chicken salad wrap with French onion soup, and a small mixed greens salad.
 Prime Rib French Dip with Handcut French Fries, au jus and horseradish cream ($12)
The bread was great and the meat was really tender and flavorful. Best French Dip I've had in a while.
***
Christmas dinner was a super special meal. My parents combined efforts to make a lovely surf and turf, with broiled lobster tail and grilled filet mignon.  
 The lobster tails were immense, about one pound each.
 My mom covered the lobster meat in a garlic butter mixture before broiling.
 Seasoned fillets, ready for the grill.
Steak, lobster, asparagus and rice. Merry Christmas!
***
With the four children grown up and out of their house, my parents have adopted a variety of furry friends. Lily (white) and Mr. Harley were adopted stray cats. Harley loves bags, and waited for Lily to leave before he investigated it for himself. 
 The newest addition, and most rambunctious, is Mr. Bentley. A King Charles Cavalier spaniel, he is very beautiful and loves to be around his people. My husband particularly loved spending time with Bentley.
I am, unfortunately, allergic to cats and dogs. I love petting them, and playing with Bentley was fun, but the dander and dog saliva caused me to break out in hives, sneezes and have trouble breathing. But...when you look at this cute face, or hear Ms. Lily meow-talking to you, you can't resist. Thank goodness for benadryl.

No comments:

Post a Comment