Saturday, September 14, 2013

Panda Gourmet at 2700 New York Avenue, NE

I'll admit that I tend to shy away from trying out places too far off the beaten path. Sometimes I need a nudge. A friend read a review of a Sichuan place called Panda Gourmet located at a Days Inn in NE DC. After checking my normal food blogs and boards, I noticed a number of other people had been pleasantly surprised by the spicing and dishes available at Panda Gourmet. While the hubs was off at a golf tournament, she scooped me up and we tried it out.
 A fairly easy to navigate menu with pictures of some of the dishes was presented to us.
 Mapo Tofu with ground Sichuan peppercorns and leeks.
Fabulous flavor and spice-level. The best dish we ordered.
 Dan Dan Noodles
Really stunning photo of a less than superb dish.
 The noodles were overcooked and on the mushy side.
The sauce had a strong hint of bean sauce and was not as spicy as other versions.
 Beef in Spicy Sichuan sauce
Second best dish we ordered and one of my favorite dishes at Sichuan restaurants.
Sufficiently spicy and hot, with tender beef and vegetables. I wish there was a little more cilantro.
Chengdu Mung Bean Jelly Salad
Worst dish choice, way too sweet for me.
***
Prices were very reasonable, spice level was sufficiently fiery and I know my husband would love the mapo tofu. It's a bit out of the way, and not the best neighborhood, but I would totally recommend Panda Gourmet for any spicy hounds and Sichuan food fans. I think a larger group would be good so we could try more dishes. Our server was super nice despite initially not knowing if we spoke Chinese or not. There's a large banquet room in the back past the restrooms, and they have a full bar available after 4 pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment