Sunday, December 29, 2013

Holiday Dinner with the Family

My parents were visiting my brother and nephew after Christmas. To celebrate, we invited them over for a holiday dinner. While we debated about a menu of Japanese dishes, we decided to stay more traditional. My favorite part of dinner parties is actually the appetizers more than the main dinner.
 Carmelized onions and bacon on puff pastry.
 Marcona almonds, salami, brie, smoked gouda, roasted bell peppers, dates stuffed with mozzarella.
 My mom loves crab cakes, so as a special treat, I made mini crab cakes with fresh crab meat.
Mix the crab meat with egg, mustard, panko and seasonings, and shape into cakes to refrigerate at least two hours before cooking. You can bake them, but the oven was occupied with the holiday ham. 
 Panseared mini crab cakes with tartar sauce and lemon.
 A shrimp cocktail helped round out the appetizers. 
***
For dinner we had ham, mashed potatoes, buttermilk biscuits, a salad of orange and fennel and corn. I was so busy, I missed taking a photo of the full meal. 
For dessert, I made a Pear Tarte Tatin.

No comments:

Post a Comment