Friday, December 27, 2013

Homemade Pork Gyoza

Most people buy frozen gyoza at the supermarket. I'm not most people. I do cheat a bit and buy prepared gyoza wrappers. Each time I have an internal debate about whether I prefer the Shanghai style wrappers or the Beijing style ones. The Shanghai ones are too thin for pan-searing, although I often forget. The key to making fabulous dumplings is to get a nice mixture of aromatics, including nira, garlic chives, scallions, grated ginger, grated garlic, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, ground pork and napa cabbage. 
 These were wrapped by the hubs, who has a different but very pretty style.
Frying in some sesame oil. Add 2/3 cups of water mixed with flour to create the hane (wings). Cover.
Flip over the gyoza onto a plate. A little too blackened in the middle, but really lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment