Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cottage Pie

So the girls have been my main focus throughout February. I love to come home and spend time with these peculiar furry ladies with tons of personality. We've also been house hunting, which is both exhausting and exciting. If we can find something soon, we'll be very happy. If not, we'll just wait until the spring season passes by and monitor the market.
My husband grew up eating primarily Japanese food, so some of my traditional American fare that I cook is unfamiliar. He's willing to try anything once, and has found a few new favorite dishes, including cottage pie. Shepherd's pie is traditionally with lamb, but I make my version with either ground beef or ground turkey. You can change the assortment of vegetables, but I like a base of onion, carrot, celery and mushroom, and then add in green peas, corn, zucchini or spinach, depending on what else we have on hand. The mash, is a combination of cauliflower and potato, which is slightly sweeter and lighter than potato alone. 
 Beautiful right out of the over.
Warming winter dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment