Saturday, February 2, 2013

Kimchi Nabe at Home

The temperatures have dropped down to 20F at night. A perfect dinner on cold nights is nabe made in an electric tabletop nabe pot. We had picked up a large bag of kimchi from Super H, plus a kimchi container for the refrigerator. This container is a must if you're going to buy kimchi in bulk. You can include many different vegetables and proteins in kimchi nabe, depending on what you have on hand. I used zucchini, maitake mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, kimchi and soft tofu. With some Japanese rice, this is a fantastic meal. 
A little kochujang helps add a bit of robust flavor to the nabe. I put the electric nabe on the table with bowls, rice and a large ladle. Ready to enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I love Nabe hot pot!! Any idea where you can find "thinly" sliced pork loin or belly?? It seems to me that Korean style pork cut is still quite thick for nabemono and didn't find much luck even in Japanese grocery store in DC. Please let me know if you have any idea. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I usually buy my sliced pork belly at Super H Mart in Fairfax. While the fresh sliced pork belly does tend to be thick-cut, some of the bags of frozen sliced pork belly have thinner slices.

    ReplyDelete