Sunday, July 28, 2013

DGS in Dupont

I have been interested in trying out DGS in Dupont for ages. Finally, I made a date with two fellow food friends to check out the upscale deli menu. 
The Mensch $7 (regularly $11)
I arrived a little earlier and grabbed a drink at the back bar while waiting for my friends. From 5-7 pm at the bar, they have a happy hour special on some sandwiches and drinks. 
The daily pickle plate $5
Half sours, dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, pickled cauliflower, pickled egg, pickled mushrooms.
Whitefish salad with radish and capers on a toasted Montreal bagel.
DGS Reuben with sauerkraut and Swiss Cheese.
Really delicious. The quality of the corned beef is very good, and the meat is cut thick.
Wanting to try a taste of each, one of my friends and I shared halves.
Shakshouka
This version is a bit prettier and different than the one I tried in Tel Aviv. The sour cream is also not really needed. The mix of tomatoes with cumin is savory but not spicy.
***
It's not traditional Jewish deli food, but it's done very well, and delicious. I look forward to trying the 1/2 pound corned beef or pastrami sandwich in the future. I think my husband would need to order more than one sandwich to feel full, but it was the perfect size for my friends and me. Love the space, but beware if you're seated near a boisterous table like we were, the hard surfaces do not absorb noise that well.

No comments:

Post a Comment