Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hollins Farm Pick Your Own Adventure

Looking to try something different while my husband was busy golfing in a tournament, I suggested trying out a pick your own farm to a friend. Up for new experiences, we set out early on a Sunday morning to arrive right around when they opened the farm. Getting an early start also helped us miss out the hottest part of the day. The farm staff are really nice and helpful. We picked up two peck bags each to pick some peaches.
I didn't know there were so many different varietals of peaches.
Beautiful peaches on the trees.
Rows of tomato plants including heirloom varieties, cherry, plum and beefsteak.
Gorgeous and delicious cherry tomatoes on the vine.
Tomatoes were $1.50 per pound.
***
My harvest.
Yellow squash and zucchini. I made the mistake of picking the golden yellow squash, but the nice staff guy told me those were past their prime and only good for ornamental uses.
Two pecks of peaches is a lot of peaches. I selected a yellow and a white varietal.
Super delicious vine-ripened tomatoes.
***
It was $40 for four pecks of peaches, and another $13 for the squash, zucchini, tomatoes and green beans. Pretty good deal, and it was a lot of fun to harvest the fruit and vegetables myself. We saw a number of families with small children at the farm which was really good to see. I believe it's important for children to understand where their food comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment