Sunday, June 1, 2014

Akasaka Gyutan Restaurant

My last night in Japan I had a chance to have dinner and chat with the head of  the research institute who used to run my office in DC. This was the first time to hear a lot of stories about his previous overseas travels and work. He really instills the motto, seize the day. Although we tried a few different restaurants, they all were full, and we ended up going to an izakaya specializing in gyutan (tongue) in Akasaka that he recommended.
Free dish of Japanese potato salad.
Salad with tongue.
My colleague showed me a cute trick, the toothpick has ridges that can allow the end bit to be broken off, and used as a toothpick holder, much like a chopsticks holder.
Gorgeous sashimi arrangement.
One of the stranger dishes: spicy tempura gyutan.
This dish did not sit well with me.
Summer rolls.
Overflowing glass of sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment